Types of Health Professionals
Diagnostician – this designation is regulated by the Health Professionals Act, 1996
- Psychiatrist (with a specialty in child and adolescent psychiatry).
- Psychologist (Ph.D. in psychology- this is the minimum requirement of competence for diagnosis).
Clinicians – are not qualified to make a diagnosis
- Such as: RN, MSW, OT.
Therapist – anyone can call themselves a therapist. They come from various backgrounds.
- Such as a: nutritionist, teacher, priest, minister, rabbi.
The System has Four Levels
- Hospital Based (Health Funded)
- Community and Social Services funded
- School Based
Navigating the system in the Toronto area
There is lots of help available to people in the Toronto area. We have a listing of services available here.
Reviewed by M. Kodsi, M.D., Child and Family Psychiatrist.